Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lessons I Learned from the School of Hard Knocks

When I was almost 5-years old, I was molested by a 12-year-old neighbor boy. I had never been a "skinny" child but shortly after that I began to gain weight. This is also when my father began making hurtful and critical comments about my size. Already so insecure and feeling so much shame about my body, his comments only drove me to seek more comfort in food. Food acted like a drug for me - it numbed any emotional pain or discomfort I felt and enhanced any happiness I had. I was an obese child who turned into an obese teenager. 

As a teenager when I would sit and eat at the table my father would sit and glare at me with a look of such disgust. At times I would glare back, but mostly I would try to ignore it until I broke down into tears. I learned to take my food down to my room. My portion sizes were off the charts, but you see, I was trying so desperately to fill the hole in my heart where the love and approval of my dad should have been. 

At 16-18 I probably weighed close to (if not more than) 400 lbs. Several times my dad would hold either my 2-year-old or 4-year-old sister in his lap and laughingly whisper something for them to say to me. Reluctantly they would turn to me and say, "Miranda, you're fat. You're ugly." If my dad caught my other siblings overeating he would say, "You better watch how you eat. Do you want to end up like Miranda?" You can imagine my devastation.

As I have slowly put less stock into the treatment of my dad, some of the weight has come off. But, at 25, I still weigh 300 lbs. It is only very recently (like within the last 3 days), thanks to my relationship with my Savior and inspiration from cjanekendrick and Janna Dean's blog posts that I have come to realize that my size really DOESN'T matter.

Christ has never loved me any less because I am fat. Being fat has never made me any less of a good, or kind person. In fact, my struggle with weight has probably made me even more compassionate than I would have been without it. I have come to realize that the body that I have thought about and treated with such contempt is one of the greatest gifts Heavenly Father has given me. I need to start taking care of it. Feeding it more nutritious food and exercising it regularly will be a part of that, but obsessing over a number on a scale will not.

These realizations have hit me with more of an impact than they ever have before. I know who I am and what I am worth and none of that can come even close to being expressed by such a trivial word as "fat". My father did the best he could for me with the limitations he was given by the generations before him. Because of that I have been given an extraordinary opportunity to learn and grow. Someday I will learn to forgive my dad. Maybe I will even have to thank him, because in the loss of my relationship with him I have gained an ever deepening relationship with Jesus Christ. And that is worth more than all the love my dad ever could have given me.

7 comments:

  1. I fought a fight somewhat similar to yours -- filling up my emptiness with food.

    I eventually decided I needed counseling, I was so low and in such a helpless place. The counselor taught me I was likeable, but it was my walks home where I poured out my heart to Heavenly Father that made what the counselor said stick.

    This journey you are on is so intensely personal for each of us -- our inspiration can come from a million places, but our successes cannot mirror anyone else, they will always be our own.

    You will discover a day that you love who you are, and the life you live ... in fact you will discover lots of them :). The only advice I dare give is that the day I really started to heal was the day I allowed myself to be brave enough to let go of the words I used to 'keep myself in place.'

    Also, this talk was (is) such a comfort to me, maybe you will find something wonderful in it too: http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=6901

    I especially love the following quote:

    "Just as discouragement and depression feed on themselves (can't you just hear Satan saying, "You can't do it, you are no good, you'll never make it"--sometimes he says that right to your heart, and sometimes he uses others as his agents), so does hope regenerate itself. Can't you likewise hear the Savior saying, "You can do it, you can make it, you are worth something. I laid down my life for you. I love you. I redeemed you. I paid for you because I know you can make it. You can come home. Trust me. Follow me." Again, sometimes he speaks directly to our hearts and sometimes uses others as his agents. But there is always hope in him."

    PS I saw your comment on CJane's blog and was curious about someone brave enough to be that honest. I hope its okay I commented here ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also saw your comment on CJane. I have to say it was beautiful. Just your few simple words are amazingly inspiring. I'm better for having read them. I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I'm sure you will bring so much happiness to all you pass on your way to finding it for yourself. Just as you have for me today. Thank you so very much for your strength and for being so brave! Really, I was incredibly touched and inspired by your comment. You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your story. I'll be rooting for you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your comment on CJane and had to click your profile in hopes I could find your email address or something. I feel like I've been slapped in the face reading the things your dad said to you or had your sisters say. I am so upset. I just can't imagine the pain you must have gone through as a child and teen and even still.

    I'm so glad to read that you know how much God loves you -- not in spite of your size like it is some flaw, but *because* of everything about you. I'm so happy read that you're maybe starting to give yourself some of that love, too.

    - Jen
    http://www.diagnosisurine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, read your comment. You are very brave. We all have a hole we're trying to fill.

    ReplyDelete